Traditional metal braces may be a good option if you are looking for a reliable and effective solution to straighten your teeth.
Traditional metal braces use small brackets affixed to your teeth to hold thin wires in place. These wires are minutely adjusted over time to gently guide teeth into the proper placement and alignment within your mouth. Some patients may experience minor discomfort in the first few days after getting braces as their teeth and mouth adjust.
If you have braces, it is important to spend extra time caring for your teeth in order to prevent particles from getting stuck and to maintain good oral hygiene. The following tips will assist you in caring for your braces:
- Brush your teeth at least four to five times a day, especially after meals.
- Floss regularly to remove any food particles stuck in your braces.
- Avoid hard and sticky foods that can damage your braces and wires.
Foods to avoid
You should avoid eating certain foods that can damage your braces and wires, which may result in longer treatment times and additional costs. You should avoid the following foods:
- Hard Foods: Hard foods can bend or break wires and even displace brackets. Avoid them entirely after you have had your wires changed, since teeth are the most tender at this stage. If you want to eat fruits, cut them into small pieces before consuming them. Avoid chewing on ice as well.
- Sticky and Sweet Foods: Sticky foods can get stuck to your teeth and braces and even pull them off. Sweet, sugary foods are high in sugar and can lead to tooth decay. If you enjoy eating candy, try sucking on them instead of chewing them. Avoid chewing gum as well.
Benefits of traditional metal braces
Traditional metal braces are suitable for people of all ages and provide the following benefits:
- Effective: Highly effective in straightening teeth and correcting bite issues.
- Cost-effective: More affordable than other orthodontic treatments.
- Customizable: You can choose colored elastic ties to make your braces look unique and personalized.
When it comes to straightening teeth, traditional metal braces are a reliable and effective solution. With proper care and maintenance, you can achieve a beautiful, healthy smile in no time. To learn more, contact Everbright Dental today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kenneth Kim and Dr. Sojin Kim.